Friday, January 2, 2009

Deep Thoughts: Cake


I believe this cliche quote to be one of the truest in the world: you can't have your cake and eat it too. I believe I have gone through most of my life thinking I could have both. Thinking this way makes you believe that either the universe is working against you and that life is so unfair, or it makes you think that you are somehow out of sync somewhere and that you're the problem. While that may be the case most of the time, sometimes no one (not even the universe) is to blame and it's just a basic case of the cake. No biggy. No need to get one's panties in a bunch. Just roll with it. There is a time for everything, and right now I just have to accept that there is little I can personally do to change some things and I need to the grace to just roll with it. I also need the grace to know what I need to change and run after it like a vampire after its prey - but that's neither here nor there.

In light of this epiphany, I've decided to make a wish list for the new year. It may not be the most sophisticated, most mature or even the most sensible list, but it's mine and I'm doing it if for no other reason, so that I can see what progress I'll make throughout the year. I realize that in getting some of the things from my list I'm opening the door for others to fall out, but I'm going to tempt fate anyway and do it. I'll start with things I did last year that I think are worthy of mention:
  1. I traveled and got to meet a side of my family I didn't know. I was welcomed as a long lost family member and it felt like we had all known each other our entire lives. It was the highlight of the last like, decade.
  2. I got legally married. This is something I had been putting off forever because I didn't care enough about the paperwork to go through the trouble. Looking back, I'm really glad I did it.
  3. I got my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. You have no idea how long I've wanted one of these. It's been my dream for so long and now it's sitting on my kitchen counter. It has made my life so much easier and I'm forever grateful I bought it.
  4. We got some much needed furniture this year, and I'm pretty happy about that. See point 10 of the list below.
And now for the wish list:

  1. To get my driver's license. I need to start driving. It's like the marriage certificate, I just have to buckle down and do it.
  2. Get the kids papers in order. They need some IDs, passports and consulate docs. Not more than we can handle, but a hassle nontheless.
  3. Figure out how to make our company more lucrative. We need to break out of the rut we're in and do something spectacular, just don't know how to go about it yet, but I feel it's just around the corner somehow.
  4. Read all the books on my reading list for this year. I always start off fine and then other books come into the picture and it throws everything off balance.
  5. Learn to manage my time better.
  6. Make significant progress at work. I want to wow myself and my bosses.
  7. I want my kids to have a really good school year right from the start. I need for them to buckle down and study hard, get good grades and really take advantage of the excellent school they go to.
  8. To read all the books with the kids on their reading list. Make a reading list with the kids.
  9. Go to the doctor and find out what's happening with me and my health, take care of it and stop messing around.
  10. Get rid of the ugly orange couch that's throwing off the whole symmetry of the living room, and get the home things we need (appliances etc).
Well, that's that. There are of course other things that I think would qualify for the first list, but this post is already long enough without me adding things like: my new face cream, finding my perfect gloss, etc.

1 comment:

angie said...

Oh wow, that IS an epiphany!! I llllllike it! Makes soooo much sense!

I agree the orange eyesore throws off the 'furniture peace' of the living room, but I STILL think it's comfortable... eh-he!