Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Life as It Is


I don't know why people say, "You need a good dose of reality" like it's a good thing. I hate reality. Reality sucks, blows, bites. Big time. If reality were an ant I would squish it without thinking twice. I'm not quite sure what constitutes a "good dose of reality" or a reasonable dose, for that matter. I agree that walking around in metal armor and singing "Golden Helmet of Mambrino" may not be in one's best interest - if one doesn't want to get beat up - but neither is living too seriously in the now.

The news is full of reality which frankly I don't care much for. People give you a "good dose of reality" all the time whether they're aware of it or not. We are bombarded with reality every day of our lives and we have no choice in the matter. The question I want answered is, are people who are seriously in the now happy?

I've seen some freaky stuff in the news this past week and I'm quite certain I could've gone a whole lifetime not knowing and been just fine. I tend to steer clear of the heavy stuff so I concentrate on the highlights, but as luck would have it, these were the highlights. There are some situations that are shaking our nation and we're expected to take sides and decide how we feel about it. What if we don't want to admit to ourselves that that kind of evil exists at all? What if we want to forget that not only are the normal evil people evil, but that people who are supposed to uphold moral standards and do the right thing are also evil? Super evil.

I'm of course referring to the case where the Catholic Church excommunicated some doctors and a mother because they were trying to save the life of a 9yr old who had to get an abortion. (Don't read the story unless you're prepared to be disillusioned with the Catholic Church, again.) As far as I'm concerned they're all better off not being part of the Catholic Church anymore. These days all they do is confirm to everyone how dated, pagan and positively evil they are.

Cases like this one and others make you realize that perhaps the loonies have got it right. They live in their own reality and choose what they want to know. Ignorance is bliss, my friend.

I'll never forget that part in the movie "Don Quixote de la Mancha" where he's talking to another inmate who asks him about the creation of this fictional character that lives in his own reality and whether it's healthy to be that way or just insanity. He goes on to describe all the "reality" he's seen and then closes the whole bit by saying, " Too much sanity may be madness, and maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be".

I've decided to add this clip because it's a classic case of "I see what I want to". He takes a very yucky table rag and puts it on his head because he thinks it's gossamer (or something like that), and then takes a shaving basin, which to him is the golden helmet, and places it on to of the filthy germ crusted rag on his head. (I think I just mini vomited)

1 comment:

angie said...

Ick, that rag... barf :P