Thursday, February 19, 2009

Miojoboy Loses a Tooth - the Die Hard Way


Yesterday Miojoboy lost a tooth. But he didn't just lose a tooth, he really lost a tooth, if you know what I'm saying. Miojoboy has lost very few teeth until now because most of them didn't fall out on their own. We've had to have several pulled because the new tooth was already coming in and the old one hadn't left yet, making him look like a shark with several rows of teeth. He thought it was awesome - Fukui-san and I, not so much since we were the ones paying the dentist's bill.

As it happens, his tooth (a molar) had been getting looser and looser all month, and I had no idea. I had just made popcorn for the kids and myself and I was sitting in my bedroom, completely out of touch with reality as I read about ships and times past, when Miojoboy walks in with blood all over his mouth yelling, "Mom, look!"


The first thing that crossed through my mind was, "Well, they've finally done it. They've drawn blood." If you don't know my precious children of light, you're not aware that they're always, always fighting. As they've gotten bigger their fighting has gotten more physical. Fukui-san and I can hear their cries for mercy, or warrior yells from the living room. Pleasant. It's especially pleasant when we're watching a touching movie and drinking a glass of wine. In general, it's boys will be boys, but I thought that this time they had taken it too far and had finally gone and done it.

Thankfully their guardian angels work overtime and get well paid because it wasn't a war wound. He had bitten down on a kernel and his loose tooth was bleeding everywhere. We went to the bathroom and he started spitting blood like he was trying to cast out a demon. It looked like friggin' Texas Chainsaw Massacre all over the counter and the sink. Then he looked up at me with a devilish grin, dripping with blood and saliva and said - I kid you not - "This is so cool! I've never seen this much blood before. Awesome!"

It was at that moment that he reached in and pulled the tooth out like a little baby Rambo. What a die hard. I don't know about any of you, but I think it's one of the signs of the end of days when kids start reaching into their mouths and yanking out their teeth like they're Special Ops.

2 comments:

Mary Drumond said...

Everything is die-hard when it comes to Fletcher....
Remember how he got his battle scar on his brow???
That was some scary shit.

angie said...

Aahahahahaha!! Wonderful tale!!