Friday, April 23, 2010

Shampoo Gold


Most of you are unaware of this but, I have white hair. Not like those idiot girls who yank out the individual white strands. No, my hair is white, well, grey. It's about 50%+ grey at this point. Yes, very sad, but thankfully some genius somewhere invented hair dye so I can walk around just like anyone else.

The thing is though, I have to dye my hair every 3-4 weeks. If I get lazy or give my hair a bit of a longer break, it looks so bad I can't leave the house. Because I am constantly dumping harsh ingredients all over my auburn locks, I am in an eternal search for the best shampoo, the best treatment, the best styling cream. It's exhausting, but if I want decent hair I can never, ever give up. Not for the rest of my prematurely greying life.

This search has lead me to two interesting discoveries. First is a very different type of cleanser - Nia Helio Hydrating Shampoo and Conditioner. It's like magic. The shampoo doesn't really lather a whole lot because it doesn't contain detergent like substances. The abscence of this detergent makes it gentler and less aggressive. The consistency is thick, but easy to spread. It rinses off very easily and doesn't leave any residue. There is a refreshing feeling to the shampoo that's not quite menthol, and not quite anything else. It's unique. The shampoo is also bright red.
The conditioner in turn is a light beige color and very moisturizing. It doesn't weigh your hair down and doesn't leave unwanted residue. It's refreshing but not mentholated. It washes out easily and what you're left with is perfectly hydrated hair. Long term use is supposed to improve the overall condition of your hair, and surprisingly, it does. I've been using it for some time now and my hair is very grateful. I love this stuff and to me it's worth every penny (it's not cheap). The coolest thing about it is that it is made for every hair type. If you have dry hair, your hair will thank you, oily hair will be thoroughly cleansed and not stripped or weighed down, color treated hair will be shinier and the color will last longer. So cool!

The other find is a Brazilian product from a cosmetic pharmeceutical company called Bio-Medicin. It's a restorative shampoo and conditioner filled with natural ingredients and plant extracts. The shampoo has 11% active ingredients and the conditioner 15%. Some ingredients included are aloe vera extract, coconut extract(s), keratin, pilocarpus leaf extract (jaborandi), rice protein, etc. The list goes on. I've been using it for a week, and so far it's a godsend. Not sure about the longterm benefits, but it'll be interesting to see. A major plus with this one is that it smells like a tropical cocktail - how fun is that?

No comments: