Monday, March 15, 2010

Spicy Thai Green Mango Salad - my new favorite!




Yesterday I went to the market and saw a pile of delicious mangoes - only they weren't ripe yet. I grabbed a few and thought maybe I could ripen them myself when all of a sudden I had a pifany! Spicy Thai Green Mango Salad - of course! I got some delish red chillis and headed home with the ingredients needed for a decadent and sinful brie and camembert risotto, and of course my green mango salad.

I didn't have fish sauce at home (will get some this week and let you know if it's that much better in the salad than soy sauce) so I used soy sauce. The dressing was simple, tons of finely chopped chives, white and green parts, finely sliced chillis without seeds, sugar, soy sauce and lime. The dressing may have been simple, but the salad tasted anything but. It was fresh, light, perfectly balanced flavors and beautiful!

I used a mandolin to finely slice the mango and then took a really sharp santoku knife to julienne like a pro. I already had toasted chopped cashews at home so I threw them in and tossed everything together. Heaven. Pure heaven.

I'm planning on making this on the weekend, maybe grill some shrimp to serve with it? Yes, I think so.


Ingredients:

2 unripe mangoes crazy finely julienned
3-4 spring onions finely chopped on a diagonal because it's prettier that way
2 med chilis sans seeds, pls - julienned
3 tbs soy sauce (or fish sauce - I think fish sauce is more authentic, I like to use both - yummy!)
3 tbs lime juice (more if needed)
2 tbs sugar (or more to taste)
a handful of chopped toasted cashews
fresh basil (I like basil and cilantro)
fresh bean sprouts (I didn't have them, but next time I'll try it with)

Toss and Enjoy!

1 comment:

deniz said...

sounds awesome, a must-try. I love fruity/sweet flavors in salads. I hope I'll come across green mangoes one day, since most of the time, I can only find canned, ripe ones in syrup here.