These are the deep questions that plague me day in and day out and to be honest it’s just too much. Case in point is the picture above. Are the reporters standing around all day long just so they can get an exaggeratedly desperate shot of a poor bloke falling apart? This is obviously the way they want us all to feel, but in my opinion, no good can come of freaking out, and maybe if we all just take a deep breath and Goosefrabah, Woosah, Kumbaia, we would come up with viable solutions that wouldn’t involve Pinky and the Brain world domination schemes.
I want to have a relaxed conversation that doesn’t include crisis and disaster, so I’ve come up with a solution which may or may not work but which I think is valid nonetheless. Do you remember how during the first crash people needed their spirits lifted so that’s when Superman was created? Well, I think we need comedy. Yes, good old fashioned comedy, the kind of movies that have always been good. They were good when they first came out, they were good when we saw them, and they will continue to be good long after we are gone. Yes, comedy! The world needs comedy. As Cervantes once said, “Too much sanity may be madness”. For this purpose I have made a list of 5 movies I think meet the criteria, although because there are so many millions of movies out every year there may be a few I’m forgetting, or that I like better, but for whatever reason these are the ones that are foremost on my mind. So without further ado, here’s my list for movies to watch during this time of crisis:
1) Wrongfully Accused starring Leslie Nielson. It’s hysterical! One of the classic lines in the movie is: “Your lies are like bananas. They come in big yellow bunches”. Here’s another nugget:
2) What About Bob? is my second movie recommendation starring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss. Bill Murray plays a crazy who is obsessed with his psychiatrist and who won’t leave him alone even when he goes on holiday. This is one of those movies that everyone has to see at least once. Here’s a classic line:
Dr. Leo Marvin: You understand, don't you? There's no other solution. You won't go away.
Bob Wiley: I will.
Dr. Leo Marvin: No, you won't. You're just “saying” you will! But then, after I don't kill you, you'll show up again. And you'll do something else to make everyone in my life think you are wonderful and I'm a schmuck. But I'm not a schmuck, Bob, and I'm not going to let you breeze into town and take my family away from me, just because you're crazy enough to be “fun”.
3) A Fish Called Wanda is one that should not be missed by anyone. This is classic Monty Python doing their thing and is a gold mine for laughs. Memorable quote:
[Otto dangles Archie out a window]
Archie: All right, all right, I apologize.
Otto: You're really sorry.
Archie: I'm really, really sorry, I apologize unreservedly.
Otto: You take it back.
Archie: I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.
4) Men in Tights. What can I say about this movie that has not already been said? This is a classic, to be sure, barrels of laughter, bushels of fun, oceans of giggles, buckets of guffaws, loads of chuckles, miles of merriment, bags of mirth, and ridiculous amounts of cackles.
Ahchoo: Let's get out of this ladies clothing and get into our tights!
5) Sgt. Bilko starring Steve Martin as a ridiculous Sergeant who gets things done regardless of the fact that he is a slacker and encourages as much from his men. It’s a wonderful story about looking good while goofing off and making the hard workers look like the fools.
Master Sergeant Ernest G. Bilko: You can't marry him. You're a Catholic and he's... an asshole, think of the children.
The movies which I feel deserve honorable mention are:
The Princess Bride
Austin Powers – International Man of Mystery
Some Like it Hot
Something about Mary
Naked Gun series
What about you? What are your fave comedies of all times?